(called: My Number)

Beginning in October of 2015, the Government of Japan will be issuing "INdividual Numbers", nicknamed "My Number" to all residents of Japan (citizens and resident aliens). This will be a 12-digit number. Your local town or city hall will send your card to the address they have on file. The number will be used for administrative procedures related to social security, taxation, medical insurance, disaster response etc.

It will be very similar to our Social Security Number system. Just as in the states, using someone else’s My Number is illegal and carried strong punishments if caught and convicted.

The goals of this program are “improved administrative efficiency, enhanced public convenience and a fairer and more just society”.

You can get more information at their English language web site. Click here to go to the official English lanuguage website

This number, just like your American SSN, is meant to serve you for a lifetime.

All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer - This unofficial webpage is provided by the Misawa Air Base Retiree Activities Office, for the benefit of the retired community in northern Japan.  Articles and information posted on the webpage are compiled from local sources, newsletters received by the RAO, and from other military sources.  The information or comments herein do not necessarily represent the position or opinion of the DOD, USAF or the 35 FW.  While every effort has been made to assure the accuracy of the information herein, no absolute guarantee of accuracy can be given nor should be assumed.

Home   |   About MMRA  : |   Newsletter  : |   Locator Form  : |   Handy Web Sites  : |   Photo Album  : |   How To  : |   Phone Numbers  : |   Contact